Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Money saving tip!

I grew up VERY poor, a fact which has defined my life in many ways. Mainly, it made me very thrifty and a big DIY lover. Many people feel held back from exercising because they have a lack of equipment. While your body is all the gym most of us will ever need, it's nice to throw something new into the mix from time to time. Personally I managed to stay in great shape for years using only my bodyweight, but fun equipment thrown into the mix from time to time can really help with your excitement and enjoyment levels.

One piece of equipment I've always found appealing are Valslides.
The concept is simple, you put them under your feet or under your hands and they allow you to slide freely across carpeted surfaces. If you get the booties to wrap around them, they slide across hard surfaces. They're super versatile, you can take them anywhere, and they take up a very little amount of space in your home. BUT the $35-40 price tag has kept me from buying them.

Here's the tip! Some of you may have realized already that these look exactly like furniture movers. I'm not joking, you can get them at Lowes or Home Depot or even Walmart. I happened to find a set of 4 at Lowes for $10. As a sometimes seamstress, I even sewed up some booties for one of my pairs out of some leftover fleece and elastic and now I have a set for carpet and a set for hard surfaces...for $10! I saved at least $60!

My new "Super Sliders"! 

With booties!

With a little creativity you can make your own dip station, pull up bar, TRX system, weight bench, sandbag, and basically everything else you might ever need! My dad made a weight bench and rack with wood, high density foam, and faux leather. He even incorporated metal loops that he could feed resistance bands through or hook on to make it even more versatile.

So get creative, think outside the box, do some research (Google is your friend!), and think of other things you can make that will help motivate you to work out!

Be well,

Cassandra Wyzik
B.S. - ACSM Certified Personal Trainer
Fit To You Brevard
Satellite Beach, Florida
"Fitness for every body!"

No comments:

Post a Comment